Want To Bring Your Foreign Born Relative To US?

Category: Immigration 30 0

U.S. immigration law creates opportunities for specific family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residence to get a visa to come to the United States and become permanent residents themselves. Normally, the process entails two measures. First, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident files a visa petition for their foreign-born relative. Second, once the visa petition is allowed, the foreign-born relative applies to obtain visa, either in America through a process called adjustment through consular processing or international to status. How long the procedure will take is contingent on the category the potential immigrant falls into.

Immediate Relatives                                                                                  

Immediate relatives do not need to await a visa and they can immigrate when the petition is granted.

Who’s an Immediate Relative?

There are three kinds of immediate relatives: (1) spouses of U.S. citizens; (2) minor children of U.S. citizens; and (3) parents of U.S. citizens, if the citizen is 21 years old or older.


For spouses, the marriage must be officially recognized in the country or U.S. state where the marriage was performed. However, currently the United States of America won’t recognize homosexual marriages, and won’t permit someone to practice polygamy.

The children

To be a “kid” under U.S. law, the individual must be under 21 years old and single. A person who’s divorced or widowed at the time of the filing of the petition is considered “unmarried.” An adopted kid can be included by a young child. Yet, there are special rules surrounding adopted children. A stepchild can qualify as a kid if the U.S. citizen married the parent before the child reached the age of 18.


To file a petition for a parent, the U.S. citizen needs to be of 21 years of age. The U.S. citizen can petition for stepparents, if the relationship began before the U.S. citizen reached the age of 18. A parent may also include an adoptive parent, provided the adoption occurred before the U.S. citizen reached the age of 16, and the U.S. citizen lived with the adoptive parent for at least two years.

A special request is to allow the foreign born partner or fiancé to come to the United States especially to come to America to complete the procedure to be a permanent resident.

Related Articles

Add Comment